The maintenance provided to the furnace and the care with which it is kept in a household can help it last up to 15-20 years, on average. However, if you provide proper maintenance, your natural gas furnace can last for more than 20 years!
Furnaces are considered long-term investments, with people spending more than the required amount to have an efficient furnace for the next 15-20 years. However, it often happens that the efficiency of a furnace begins to dwindle after it hits the 15-year mark. Proper care and maintenance are necessary, but replacing your furnace after 15 years is also essential if you wish to reduce your electricity costs. Otherwise, a broken furnace can cost you heavily!
If you’re searching to extend the lifespan of your furnace, then you need to follow certain maintenance tips from time to time. These tips will keep your furnace in good shape and keep them efficient for the next 15-20 years. Additionally, it will keep a check on your utility bills!
- Change your furnace filter every 90 days: HVAC experts recommend getting your furnace’s air filter changed every 90 months. It can get clogged due to dust and dirt and can reduce the efficiency of your furnace by a significant margin, so getting it changed is utterly essential.
- Clean the flame burner and sensor rod regularly: Your furnaces flame burner is an essential component as it heats the air. Time and again, dirt and dust can clog it, making it produce less heat. So, it would help if you kept in mind to clean it thoroughly every month.
- Inspect the heat exchanger: Regularly inspect your furnace’s heat exchanger and try to look for cracks or breaks in the exchanger, if any.
- Check the venting: Inspect the venting and see any leaks or gaps in the ventilation that can leak possibly dangerous gases in your house.
- Check the thermostat: Often, an internal electrical issue causes the thermostat to go haywire. So, keep an eye on your thermostat and call HVAC technicians immediately if you sense any abnormality.
- Inspect the wiring: Inspection of the wiring system can also be an issue sometimes, although this rarely happens. Get your wiring inspected during regular maintenance check-ups.
What are the signs that a furnace has reached its lifespan?
If your furnace has completed 15 years of usage, it might display some signs of wear and tear, which can be hard to ignore. These issues can be tough on your pocket as well, and HVAC experts recommend replacing your furnace as soon as possible after 15 years.
- Increased utility/electrical bills.
- The furnace is struggling to keep up with the air quality.
- Strange noises
- Unusual odors coming from the furnace
- The furnace keeps turning on and off repeatedly
These issues are resolvable through repairs, but it’s best to change your furnace after 15 years of usage. This is because it might break down sooner or later and can burn a hole in your pocket.
At B.A.P Heating & Cooling Services, we are always present to extend the lifespan of your furnace and maintain it. Our furnace replacement Cambridge, ON team, consists of seasoned technicians, and we can replace your furnace most efficiently, should the need ever arise! If you wish to know more, contact us at (519) 569-7527!