As the freezing winters of the Greater Toronto area can go as low as -12°C, it might be a hassle to stay warm if your furnace or heater breaks down. If your furnace is not blowing cold air, then you need to look for various signs and try to detect what’s troubling your furnace.
Here are some common reasons for a furnace that is not blowing hot air:
- Issues with the thermostat: The chances are that your thermostat’s settings are incorrect or your thermostat’s battery is low. Either way, you need an HVAC expert to work on your thermostat since it requires complex electrical knowledge. Here are some basic issues that can occur with your thermostat:
- Low battery
- The fan is set to ‘ON’ all the time
- The thermostat is not installed properly
- Filter issue: A dirty or clogged air filter can stop your furnace from blowing hot air. In this case, you need to replace your filter immediately.
- Clogged gas burner: If the gas burner of your furnace is clogged, then it won’t have access to the fuel to produce hot air. So, this can lead to the furnace blowing cold air if the fan is still set to ‘ON.’
- An issue with the gas valve: Often, the gas valve of your old furnace can get clogged with debris or might malfunction. So, you need to call an HVAC technician immediately if this is the problem.
Troubleshooting tips for your furnace:
You now know the reasons that might be behind your furnace not blowing hot air. Here are some solutions to repair those discrepancies and rectify those issues:
- Clean all the components of your furnace thoroughly, including the condensate line and burners.
- Make sure to replace your air filter every 90 days, as suggested by HVAC experts.
- Check your thermostat’s battery regularly.
- Make sure that the gas valve is clean and open.
- Call an HVAC technician if you sense a major problem at hand.
You can troubleshoot your furnace yourself and even repair it using DIY solutions if the issue is minor. But always contact BAP Heating & Air Conditioning if the problem is a major one, which experts should only resolve. If you want to know also, you can contact our AC & furnace replacement Cambridge, ON team or call us on (519)569-7527!